Deaf Awareness and Bahasa Malaysia Isyarat(BIM) Workshop

It is one of my most memorable moments to pay a visit to my HELP University College on October 2023 and it makes me feel like I am still a student at my University College where I previously studied and the feeling is so good and it just happened like yesterday. In fact, it has been so long that I haven't visited my university college in nearly twenty years. Wow! Actually, time flies!

Aww..I was thrilled to attend a special event, Deaf Awareness and BIM Sign Language workshop, hosted by Edward Wong, a junior of my schoolmate and HELP University College. It took place on 20th of October 2023 at HELP University Subang 2. Absolutely, thank you so much to my junior for inviting me to his workshop.

Furthermore, I was very excited and couldn't wait to meet my favourite lecturer who is still teaching at HELP University College, and I am very grateful to my junior for informing me about my ex lecturer and making me want to meet him after I graduated from my University College over 20 years ago. 

Wow! My first visit to HELP University College, which is located in a new location and is not where I previously studied. In the past, I studied at Pusat Bandar Damansara, which is located near Damansara Heights. Within 20 years, everything had changed rapidly. 

Without a doubt, I was very proud of my junior for hosting this meaningful programme, which is a good initiative to raise awareness about Deaf Awareness and BIM Sign Language among HELP University College students. 

Due to advanced technologies, my situation in the past was quite different from this current environment. Nowadays, we have a variety of methods and ways to communicate with people through technology, and it can even promote Deaf awareness more effectively and efficiently through Social Media platforms. 

Despite the fact that only a few students attended this workshop, it was successful in attracting them to participate in this special workshop and the programme ran smoothly. Everyone enjoyed learning BIM Sign Language during the workshop. Edward, the speaker only gives an overview of Sign Language, BIM (Bahasa Isyarat Malaysia-Malaysian Sign Language), and the advantages and disadvantages of using BIM. Aside from that, there are a few aspects to discuss about Deaf Awareness, Myths and Facts, as well as Appropriate Terms to Call Deaf People. 

Anyways if some of you are not sure about what is Sign Language and BIM. To get know about it more better and clearly. Sign Language is an expressive form of communication for the Deaf that relies on facial expressions, body movements, and movement. BIM is an identity and a unique name that represents the sign language used by Malaysia's Deaf community.

Due to a lack of awareness, some people do not know which terms are appropriate, for example, Deaf and Dumb, Deaf and Mute or Hearing Impaired, which are commonly used terms by hearing and the public to refer to Deaf. As a result, the proper terms should be "deaf/Deaf and Hard of Hearing." 

Wow. It is more interesting activities where everyone has the opportunity to learn the basics of BIM and they enjoy learning together. Some of them are also lucky enough to win the lucky draw. Congratulations to the winners. Overall, we took a group photo together. It makes me feel like a student and a young person person around them. It is one of my favorite memories especially meeting with my lecturers after so many years.

Some photo credits to Edward

What's interesting is that I was able to meet my favorite and former lecturer, Mr Kok in person. He came at the workshop. It was one of my favourite memories because I was able to teach him basic BIM Sign Language and spend some time with him. I'm feeling good because he was one of the lecturers who taught me in college. I couldn't put into words how meaningful the words are to me. I am grateful for the opportunity to meet my ex-lecturer at that time, and I am pleased to see him. After the workshop, my ex-lecturer, Mr Kok took me to meet two other lecturers who had also taught me. However, one of them was on leave and managed to meet up with Ms Seetha. I'm delighted to see her. As the result, three of them continue to teach at HELP University College. Most of lecturers resigned within 20 years. 

Furthermore, Edward hosted the Deaf Awareness Webinar (Virtual) via ZOOM on October 21, 2023 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Despite the fact that it has only been a short time, it has been successful in attracting more students than I expected. If I am not mistaken, there were around 30 people. Thus, it has a positive response. Indeed, I joined and support my junior as well.  At the very least, I was able to learn what he was trying to say in his speech via ZOOM. Overall, everyone had a good time learning about BIM and the Deaf community. I hope to see more public awareness about BIM and the Deaf Community. 


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Your Comment!

Instagram

Instagram

Follow Us